Commercial Pilot Licence Ground School
Congratulations on choosing to train with Eastrise Aviation. We are so excited to guide you through your learning journey. Our institution was set up to help people like you to realise their dream to become a pilot. Learning to fly is a passion for most people and we are so excited to be of help on your learning journey.
As indicated in the terms and conditions which you approved before enrolling on this course; your online CPL ground school access lapses automatically after 400 days and when you:
- graduate vis-à-vis you successfully complete a course and moves on to the next level
- are suspended or chose to terminate your training with Eastrise Aviation
- no longer hold a valid medical certificate
- have an outstanding balance in your student account
This course has videos, notes and interactive content. You are strictly prohibited from sharing your login details or access to the Eastrise Aviation online ground school with anyone. Multiple (concurrent) logins are also prohibited. Violations are prosecutable under local and international law.
You must be a Private Pilot with valid Instrument and Night ratings to be eligible for this course. You will also realise that discipline and self-leadership are key. This course is also available within the Eastrise Aviation intranet. This enables students to take it within our campus without an internet connection on the local area network. We recommend completing each lesson before commencing the next one.
We assume that by now you already have a valid medical certificate. For the sake of simplicity, we will from now own call the Directorate the Civil Aviation Authority (DCA). In some cases we may call the CAA ‘the Malawi CAA’ or simply ‘the DCA’
REQUIRED STUDY MATERIALS
- You will need a working internet connection that will enable you watch videos and interactive content
- A notepad and pen for note-taking
KEY TASKS AND EXAMINATIONS
You will have a 50-question mock exam at the end of this course. You will also have unit quizzes. We have decided to introduce you to mock exams early in the course to ensure you get used to aviation exams. This will enable you to build confidence that would be handy in the knowledge tests at the Directorate of Civil Aviation. There are 50-60 timed questions in the actual exams (knowledge tests) at the civil aviation authority. Please note that you will also have free access to our Test Prep site where you can practice with our mock exams that are housed within 18+ question banks.
- Lectures 78
- Quizzes 7
- Duration 400 Days
- Skill level Advanced
- Language English GB
- Students 16
- Certificate Yes
- Assessments Self
Module 1: Meteorology (Course Code: EAVCPL010-2019)
This module is aimed at deepening the pilot's understanding of aviation meteorology to prepare for IMC operations.
- The Atmosphere
- Pressure, Temperature and Density
- Adiabatic Processes, Lapse Rate and Stability
- Wind and Air Masses
- Clouds, Ice Accretion, Fog and Mist
- Fronts, Precipitation and Thunderstorms
- Pressure Systems
- Aircraft Meteorological Observations
- Synops and Synoptics
- Codes and Documentation
- End of CPL Meteorology Quiz
Module 2: Flight Planning & Performance (Course Code: EAVCPL020-2019)
This module is aimed at honing the beginning pilot with basic technical skills pertaining to the aircraft. It satisfies the technical part of the PPL exams.
Module 3: Radio Aids (Course Code: EAVCPL030-2019)
This is an advanced radio course that introduces the private pilot to CPL radio fundamentals.
Module 5: Operational Procedures (Course Code: EAVCPL050-2019)
This module helps the pilot understand operational procedures that are related to local and international travel.
Module 6: Instruments, Magnetism and Compasses (Course Code: EAVCPL060-2019)
We explore various advanced aircraft instruments that enable a pilot to safely navigate in both IMC and other flight conditions.
- Air Data Instruments
- Understanding Machmeter Principles
- Aneroid and instantaneous VSIs (IVSI)
- Simple, Sensitive and Servo-assisted Altimeters
- Gyroscopic Instruments
- The Angle of Attack Indicator
- Terrestrial and Aircraft Magnetism
- Direct reading, Remote indicating and Landing Compasses
- End of CPL Instruments Module Quiz
Module 7: CPL Air Law (Course Code: EAVCPL070-2019)
We blend Malawi Air Law and International Conventions to prepare the pilot for international operations
- ICAO General Principles
- Malawi Air Law and Operational Procedures
- Overflights: Contracting States
- Facilitation of Air Navigation
- International Standards and Recommended Practices
- Accident and Incident Reporting Procedures
- Certification Procedures
- Registration and Markings
- Personnel Licencing
- Documentation and Records
- Rules of the Air
- Flight Operations
- End of CPL Air Law Quiz
Module 8: CPL Human Performance & Limitations (Course Code: EAVCPL080-2019)
We build on the PPL HP&L module to provide an advanced understanding of human performance and Limitations in commercial pilot operations.
Module 9: CPL Aircraft Technical & General (Course Code: EAVCPL090-2019)
We introduce the aspiring CPL to advanced technical aspects of the aircraft.
- Aircraft Performance
- Aircraft Elements
- Airframe and Systems
- Fuel Feed and Dumping
- Electrics and Electronics
- Powerplant Principles
- Special Operational Procedures: General
- Special Operational Procedures: Noise Abatement
- Special Operational Procedures: Transporting Dangerous Goods
- End of CPL Aircraft Technical Module Quiz